Thomas A. Hutson
Tom is a Partner at BST with more than 33 years of experience specializing in business valuation and other financial forensic services. He is a member of the Valuation, Forensic Accounting, and Litigation Support team. In 2021, he also began providing mediation services with a focus on divorce mediation and other financial matters to clients and other mediators and their clients.
Tom has worked on over 1,000 business and professional practice valuation and financial forensic assignments in a myriad of industries. Additionally, he has analyzed and valued participants’ interests in retirement plans, executive compensation award plans, stock options, carried interests, incentive fees, profits interests, and intangibles, and professional licenses and other enhanced earnings capacities. Tom conducts other financial forensic engagements including tracing analyses, lifestyle analyses, unreported income and hidden asset investigations, income analyses for support modification proceedings, reasonable rates of return on invested assets and associated income taxes, fraudulent conveyance and corporate veil investigations, and other financial analyses. Tom provides testimony in support of his findings and opinions and has been court-appointed as a business, professional license, and pension appraiser.
“One of the things I enjoy most is solving financial puzzles. When a client brings me an issue that has no easy answer, I thrive on being able to piece together what is needed. Helping people resolve challenging problems and address difficult circumstances is very rewarding.”
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, CFP® approved by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. to use the Certified Financial Planner™, and a CDFA® professional, approved by the Institute for Divorce Financial AnalystsTM to use the Certified Divorce Financial Analyst®.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, University at Albany, SUNY (summa cum laude), 1987. Admitted into Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honor Society
- Member of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants, and it's Business Valuation and Litigation Services Committee
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and it's Forensic and Valuation Services Section
- Member - Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts
- Member - Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York
- Member - Financial Planning Association, and its Northeastern New York Chapter
- Member - Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member - International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member - Collaborative Divorce Association of the Capital District
- Member - Hudson Valley Collaborative Divorce and Dispute Resolution Association
- Member - Academy of Professional Family Mediators
- Member - Family & Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York